UDC logo


Oran M. Roberts

Oran M. Roberts

Chapter 440

United Daughters of the Confederacy®


Houston, Harris County, Texas


dixie bar

Minutes
of the
80th Annual Convention of the Texas Division
United Daughters of the Confederacy


Austin, Texas

4-7 Oct 1976


Oran M. Roberts Chapter, No. 440, Houston
Chartered: February 1901



In Memoriam

Mrs. John Peter Hartman (nee: Achsah Talulah Grubbs)
Confederate Widow
[b. 20 Apr 1875 - d. 1 Jan 1976]


Meetings: 10 a.m., 4th Thursday at homes of members.

Officers:

Mrs. Janet E. Cain - President
Mrs. R. E. Ballanfant - Vice President
Miss Yvonne Jensen - 2nd Vice President
Mrs. M. C. Ferguson - Recording Secretary
Mrs. Robert B. Heath - Treasurer
Mrs. Jack Allen - Registrar
Mrs. Ben H. Clark - Historian
Mrs. Lola Chambers - Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. P. Boyter - Recorder of Crosses

Historical programs for meetings held September through May.

4 new members

All dues and assessment paid by March 1st

Donations of $10 Randolph Relief Fund; 100% donation made to the Ship Island Memorial Fund; $40 donation made toward placement of markers for Confederate Veterans at Old Washington Cemetery in Houston

A $10 prize was offered at Division Convention for best essay on Oran M. Roberts.

The Corrine Gant Memorial Scholarship for $150 was awarded.

A Confederate Memorial Service was held to honor deceased members, participants from other chapters of UDC, SCV and CofC.

Members attended District meeting, Division and General Conventions.

A radio interview was given concerning UDC Convention at Charleston, SC in Biloxi, MS, by members who attended.

A printed booklet on the Confederate Veterans Reunion in Runnels Co., TX, dated 1905 was donated to the Museum.

One recognition pin and one ancestor bar were purchased and one ribbon. Two renewal subscriptions to the UDC Magazine.

Chapter has a yearbook.

Luncheon honoring the Real Daughters was held in February and a Bicentennial Tea, celebrating the founding of the Chapter was held, with a display of Confederate artifacts, including a Southern Cross of Honor.

In May, we held a picnic at Sam Houston Park with a historical program and tour of the restored homes.

Members were contacted for each meeting and remembered with cards on appropriate occasions.

Mrs. Janet E. Cain, President

dixie bar

Return to Main Page

This webpage was created on 27 Mar 2006 and was last revised on 14 Aug 2006

Copyright © 2006 - All rights reserved

On 12 July 1994 our name "United Daughters of the Confederacy" was officially approved by the Patent Trademark Office of the United States and may not be used without the express written permission of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, 328 North Boulevard, Richmond,
VA 23220-4057.

On 26 July 1994 our insignia (logo) was also approved by the Patent Trademark Office of the United States. Therefore they are not to be used without permission and when displayed must have the copyright symbol. As stated in the 1997 UDC Bylaws on page 41, Article 34 Insignia Section 2, a & b.

Webmaster & Website Owner - Lynna Kay Shuffield