UDC logo


Oran M. Roberts

Oran M. Roberts

Chapter 440

United Daughters of the Confederacy®


Houston, Harris County, Texas


dixie bar

Minutes
of the
53rd Annual Convention of the Texas Division
United Daughters of the Confederacy

Austin, Texas
11-13 October 1949


Oran M. Roberts Chapter, No. 440, Houston
Chartered February 20, 1901


[Chapter Report - p. 137-138]

Officers:

Mrs. R. A. Whatley, Sr. - President
Mrs. F. C. Nolen - 1st Vice President
Mrs. Fred Eberspacher - 2nd Vice President
Mrs. W. M. Bush - 3rd Vice President
Mrs. R. P. Stoltje - Recording Secretary
Mrs. Lloyd Crowell - Corresponding Secretary
Mrs. A. F. McClellan - Treasurer
Mrs. Robert S. Martin - Historian
Mrs. W. E. West - Registrar
Mrs. Laura Dennis - Custodian
Mrs. W. T. Roberson - Recorder of Crosses


Honorary Members:

Judge Ewing Boyd
Mrs. W. T. Roberson
Mrs. J. W. Sampson
Mrs. W. S. Webb
Mrs. E. C. Brock
Mrs. Margaret McCutcheon


Members at last report, 74; members demitted, 0; new members, 13 deceased members, 0; present membership, 78; honorary members, 7; tax paid Division (60 cents per member), $43.80; tax paid General (30 cents per member); $21.90; Texas Museum tax, $1; Texas Room tax, $1; total tax and dues sent treasurer, $78.65; total amount paid all founds, $171.30.

Seven joint business and historical meetings held, all opened with ritual and closing with Dixie. All historical programs followed outline of Division Historian. Socially we enjoyed a Christmas tea at which time all past and present state and general officers were honored. We observed, in February, our 48th Anniversary with a luncheon and sale of handmade articles, meeting the chapter $93. A program of special historical interested followed. We have 19 new and 14 renewal subscriptions to the UDC Magazine.

We gave $5 to a needy member for Christmas. Through advertising, we cleared $53 to a needy member for Christmas. Through advertising, we cleared $53 on our yearbook. We purchased and re-sold 30 Confederate calendars. Our group made $50 on a Sears shopping tour. A former member of our CofC Chapter was endorsed for scholarship to the University of Texas. Letters of appreciation to three Houston newspapers for their splendid articles of Lee and Jackson were sent by our Chapter. One of these letters, By Mrs. Hammack, outlining the aims of the UDC was published in the Houston Press.

We were joint hostess with all the Houston Chapters, honoring the Daughters of the Republic of Texas at their state convention with a lovely tea. All sick and bereaved were remembered with cards and flowers and magazines taken to hospitals. We have contributed to all state and general funds, being 100% in Red Shirt Shrine [2] and Church Foundation fund. We had 7 delegates to District meeting and 3 to State Convention.

Three subscriptions to the UDC Magazine sent to Houston schools and libraries. Four silk Confederate flags presented to schools and students. Three copies of the book, The Face of Robert E. Lee [1] presented to student who won our annual essay, entitled "Jefferson Davis." The Loving Cup for this award went to the student's school, Edison Junior High.

We repaired the portrait of Oran M. Roberts and presented to the school of same name, also giving them $5 towards their music record library. Through our efforts, copies of the life of Oran M. Roberts were mimeographed by the school principal for distribution to each student.

We addressed in person the student body of one elementary and one junior high school, approximately 1,000 students, on Southern subjects.

Confederate Hero Days observed were Lee, Jackson, Stuart, Sims, Maury, Roberts and Jefferson Davis. Also observed our Confederate Memorial Day, April 26th, with appropriate program in which other Houston Chapters joined. Flowers and wreaths were placed on graves and monuments of our Confederate soldiers.

Funds paid: Church foundation, $14.40; Red Shirt Shrine, $5.80; Indian Relations, $2; Highway fund, 50 cents; Randolph Relief, $10; flowers, $15; DRT tea, $12.10.



Members

Ayrand, J. L. (Jewel), Mrs.
Beard, L. L. (Lina), Mrs.
Bering, Ben K., Mrs.
Bottler, Will, Mrs.
Branum, W. C., Mrs.
Brown, Cleo, Mrs.
Brown, Mildred, Mrs.
Bush, W. M., Mrs.
Buckley, Jim, Mrs.
Buchanan, J. E., Mrs.
Campbell, Frank, Mrs.
Cook, Irma, Mrs.
Cotton, Edna May, Miss
Cotton, Katherine, Miss
Cotton, George E., Mrs.
Cotton, Marguerite, Miss
Crawford, Lillian, Mrs.
Crowell, Lloyd, Mrs.
Davis, D. L., Mrs.
Dennis, Laura, Mrs.
Eberspacher, Fred, Mrs. Elliott, Alfred, Mrs.
Foote, Margret, Mrs.
Foster, Ralph, Mrs.
Gazette, Frank, Mrs.
Gordon, Ben, Mrs.
Guild, Charles, Mrs.
Hammack, E. H., Mrs.
Harris, Para Baker, Mrs.
Heinan, Viola, Mrs.
Heyne, W. C., Mrs.
Hobbs, Inza, Mrs.
Holeman, R. F., Mrs.
Hopkins, Roy T., Mrs.
Hyndman, John, Mrs.
Jackson, C. E., Mrs.
Jackson, Ira, Mrs.
Johnson, G. C., Mrs.
Joines, A. C., Mrs.
Knolle, B. B., Mrs.
Korn, E. P., Mrs.
Kucera, C. M., Mrs.
Kurtz, P. M., Mrs.
Lawrence, A. B., Mrs.
Lowery, W. W., Mrs.
Martin, Robert S., Mrs.
Maughmer, Earl, Mrs.
McClellan, A. F., Mrs.
Miller, Ray, Mrs.
Muery, L. J., Mrs.
Newsome, Mattie, Mrs.
Nolen, F. C., Mrs.
Pool, Elizabeth, Mrs.
Poole, F. M., Mrs.
Prewitt, Floy, Mrs.
Roberson, W. T., Mrs.
Robinson, H. C., Mrs.
Sandland, Harry G., Mrs.
Schlegel, Grace, Mrs.
Schultz, Bertha, Mrs.
Shepherd, R. E., Mrs.
Simon, L. F., Mrs.
Sink, Claud, Mrs.
Smith, F. B., Mrs.
Smith, Gaylord, Mrs.
Stevenson, P. E., Mrs.
Stoltje, R. P., Mrs.
Thayer, Isabella Kaylot, Mrs.
Triplett, Myrtle, Mrs.
Turner, Claud, Mrs.
West, W. E., Mrs.
Whatley, R. A., Mrs.
Wilkinson, J. W., Mrs.


[1] Meredith, Roy, The Face of Robert E. Lee in Life and in Legend. (New York, NY: C. Scribner's Sons, 1947).

[2] Red Shirt Shrine - Located in Oakley Park, Edgefield, SC. Was the former home of Confederate General Martin W. Gray (1831-1881), who, with General Matthew C. Butler (1836-1909), led the "Red Shirt" movement, in which Democratic supports - who wore to their military and political club meetings shirts dyed red - successfully campaigned on behalf of the elections of Wade Hampton for governor in 1876, thus breaking the Reconstruction hold in South Carolina. In 1947, 7.8 acres and the home were deeded to the UDC and was opened as a museum to the public.



dixie bar

Return to Main Page

This webpage was created on 2 Dec 2008 and was last revised on _________

Copyright © 2006, 2008 - All rights reserved

On 12 July 1994 our name "United Daughters of the Confederacy" was officially approved by the Patent Trademark Office of the United States and may not be used without the express written permission of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, 328 North Boulevard, Richmond,
VA 23220-4057.

On 26 July 1994 our insignia (logo) was also approved by the Patent Trademark Office of the United States. Therefore they are not to be used without permission and when displayed must have the copyright symbol. As stated in the 1997 UDC Bylaws on page 41, Article 34 Insignia Section 2, a & b.

Webmaster & Website Owner - Lynna Kay Shuffield