Oran M. Roberts
United Daughters of the Confederacy®
Houston, Harris County, Texas
Members at last report, 60; new members, 2; deceased members, 2; honorary members, 11; present membership, 57; per capita tax paid state division, $25; per capita tax paid General, $10; Curator tax, $7.50; Texas museum tax, $1; Texas room tax $1; total tax and dues sent Treasurer, $44.50; total contributions to all funds, $349.28.
Chapter held nine business and five historical meetings and two radio programs. The memorial program which is an outstanding event of our Chapter was held in the home of Mrs. J. W. Wilkinson and directed by our Chaplain, Mrs. E. P. Krick.
A Cross of Military Service was awarded at that time, being one of three we have awarded this year.
An essay contest with the subject, "My Favorite Southern Hero and Why," was sponsored in the city schools, with a silver cup and medal as the award. It was won by Joseph Nelkin  of Thomas Edison School  and presented with an appropriate program before five hundred children.
The most outstanding work of the year was the award of a $250 cash scholarship to the University of Houston, payable $50 a year for 5-years. Miss Ruth Sims, a lovely Southern girl, was the recipient for this year.
Our Chapter presented tobacco and post cards at a cost of $9.72 to 50 white and negro boys leaving from Draft Board No. 7 in March.
Copies of three books: "The Wave of the Gulf" by Jesse Ziegler; "The Brimming Cup" by Mrs. A. B. Lawrence and "Dick Dowling" by Mrs. L. W. Sackett, were presented to Baylor University in Waco and to Thomas Edison School in Houston. Pictures of President Davis were presented to the same two schools, with one of General Robert E. Lee to Baylor and a small Confederate Flag to Edison. 
Many attractive social affairs are given each year, our Christmas party at Mrs. J. W. Wilkinson's and installation of officers at the Women's Federation Club House were the two outstanding. Flowers and gifts were given to the Mothers of our Chapter at Christmas time and on Mother's Day. We attended the Christmas party for the Veterans, giving each one a box of candy.
We take two subscriptions to the "Bulletin." One of our members, Mrs. H. G. Sandland, was appointed by our Division President as Chairman of District 1 and we had 10 representatives at the District meeting in Beaumont. The Chapter participated in the Armistice Day parade and sponsored a musical at the Rich Hotel.
We have given to the following: Muse Scholarship, $5; Julia Bounds Scholarship, $5; Community Chest, $5; flowers, $26; Randolph Relief, $5; Confederate Home, $5; Beauvoir home, $10; Jefferson Davis Highway, $1; pictures, $19.21; books, $12; total, $349.28.
 Joseph William Nelkin was born on 10 July 1927 in Harris Co., TX and was the son of Max and Mollie (Granader) Nelkin. In 2007, he was living in Baltimore, MD.
 Edison Middle School - 6901 Avenue I - This school began as Park Junior High and was renamed in 1932 for renowned inventor Thomas Alva Edison. Edison is most famous for his invention of the incandescent light bulb and the phonograph. Edison was awarded a Congressional gold medal for “development and application of inventions that have revolutionized civilization in the last century.” The original Edison Middle School building was completed in 1925.
 In 2008, all three books were listed in the Baylor University Library Catalog.
Ziegler, Jesse A, Wave of the Gulf: Ziegler's Scrapbook of the Texas Gulf Coast Country. (San Antonio, TX: Naylor Co., 1938).
Lawrence, Varuna Hartmann, The Brimming Cup. (Dallas, TX: Tardy Publishing Co., 1937).
Sackett, Frances Robertson, Dick Dowling. (Houston, TX: Gulf Publishing Co., 1937).
This webpage was created on 22 Oct 2008 and was last revised on ______________
Copyright © 2006 - All rights reserved
On 12 July 1994 our name "United Daughters of the Confederacy" was officially approved by the Patent Trademark Office of the United States and may not be used without the express written permission of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, 328 North Boulevard, Richmond,
On 26 July 1994 our insignia (logo) was also approved by the Patent Trademark Office of the United States. Therefore they are not to be used without permission and when displayed must have the copyright symbol. As stated in the 1997 UDC Bylaws on page 41, Article 34 Insignia Section 2, a & b.