Oran M. Roberts
United Daughters of the Confederacy®
Houston, Harris County, Texas
Members at last report, 122; members demitted, none; new members, 20; honorary members, 11; present membership, 142; per capita tax paid Division, $28.40; per capita tax paid General UDC, $28.40; Texas museum tax, $1.00; Texas room tax, $1.00; total tax sent state treasurer, $58.80; total contribution all funds, $139.70.Officers
Our Chapter observed Sabine Pass Day with a dinner for the Veterans, afterwards taking them to the Harris County Home, with refreshments and entertainment for the benefit of the inmates of the Home.
Our Mrs. Knolle served on the committee to seek financial relief for the needy Confederate widows deprived of their pensions.
One of our members, Mrs. Ola Beaubien, had the honor of being appointed State Press Agent, by General Summers.
Our Mrs. Staples served on Resolutions Committee during Convention of 1929, later being appointed to remain on that work by Miss Daffan.
On Armistice Day 1929, we decorated three large flats for the parade, also assisted the American Legion in selling poppies.
This Chapter strenuously protested against the use of Confederate Veterans’ bodies for medical purposes. Also against the demolishing of the Old Land Office building in Austin.
Two pictures were presented to us, in memory of Dr. William Erwin, by his son, Mr. Tom Erwin. These pictures, the “Inauguration of Jefferson Davis” and “The Battle of Gettysburg” will be hung in the Museum at Austin at the Convention in 1930. We will be honored by the presence of Mr. Tom Erwin and his mother during this occasion.
During the Christmas holidays we observed the yearly custom of a Christmas tree for our Veterans at Mrs. J. W. Wilkinson’s home. Our Children’s Chapter also gave them a Christmas party at Dick Dowling Camp.
In January 1930, during the exhibit in Houston of the Grand Central Art Galleries, members of the Chapter served as hostesses.
A Confederate Cross for the grave of Mrs. Will Lambert, in Glenwood cemetery, was procured through the efforts of Mrs. Staples. Mrs. Staples also procured from the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Camp Albert Sidney Johnston, a nice set of table service, for Dick Dowling Camp.
In February, members of our Chapter, who serve on the Organizing Council, motored to Conroe to assist in organizing the Lafayette Burns Chapter.
On Washington’s birthday, our Children’s Chapter, David O. Dodd, provided George and Martha Washington, and another member, for a tableaux presented by the Americanization Council.
We assisted our Auxiliary Chapter, David O. Dodd, C. of C., in presenting two pictures of Southern Heroes, and two books of historical value to two schools in Houston. Our chapter also presented two books to the Andrew T. Brisco school, on this occasion.
Our Memorial Day program, presided over by Mrs. J. W. Willkinson, was broadcast over radio, and brought especial praise from Mrs. Bashinsky, President of General UDC.
At one meeting our Children’s Director received 53 certificates for new members. Since that time 40 applications have been mailed.
Our Chapter gave $5.00 to a needy widow, we have given our Veterans a monthly birthday dinner, entertained them at historical meetings and cared for them in sickness, in health and honored the memories in death, with flowers and wreaths of honor.
At the last election of officers, Mrs. M. E. Davis and Mrs. Jane Rogers were made Honorary President for Life.
We are proud to have in our Chapter, Mrs. B. B. Knolle, First Vice President Texas Division and Mrs. J. W. Wilkinson, Historian Emeritus.
The Oran M. Roberts Chapter has fulfilled all obligations and pledges, amounting to $272.26.
We conclude this report with words of love and praise for the untiring loyalty and faithfulness of the one who made it possible, Mrs. A. J. Staples, our retiring President.Members -
This webpage was created on 22 Mar 2006 and was last revised on 29 Sept 2008
Copyright © 2006 - All rights reserved
On 12 July 1994 our name "United Daughters of the Confederacy" was officially approved by the Patent Trademark Office of the United States and may not be used without the express written permission of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, 328 North Boulevard, Richmond,
On 26 July 1994 our insignia (logo) was also approved by the Patent Trademark Office of the United States. Therefore they are not to be used without permission and when displayed must have the copyright symbol. As stated in the 1997 UDC Bylaws on page 41, Article 34 Insignia Section 2, a & b.