SOURCE: History of Texas, Together with a Biographical History of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson Counties. (Chicago, IL: Lewis, 1893), p. 811.
THOMAS W. FELTON, a well-known and prosperous farmer residing on the San Gabriel river, twelve miles northwest of Rockdale, has been a resident of Milam county, Texas, for the past twenty eight years.
Mr. Felton was born in Smith county, Tennessee, January 2, 1833, son of James and Jane (Glover) Felton. His parents were married in Tennessee, and about 1840 removed from there to Dallas county, Missouri. After a residence of three years there they moved to Izard county, Arkansas and in that county Thomas W. Felton spent his boyhood days, being reared on a farm and receiving only limited educational advantages. He is one of a family of twelve children, six sons and six daughter. His oldest brother, Richard Felton, died in Milam county, Texas. The second, a Andrew J. Felton, died in Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1863, while in the Confederate army. His third brother, James M. Felton, also died in the Confederate service, his death occurring at Pocahontas, Arkansas, in 1864; while the two youngest, Geneth D. Felton and Jonathan E. Felton, are residents of Tom Green county, Texas. The sisters were all married, and, with one exception, are all living, being residents of Missouri, Arkansas and Texas.
Thoms W. Felton came to Texas when a young man and worked in different localities, being employed to care for stock, until the second year of the war, when he entered the confederate army, enlisting in Company D, Allen's Regiment of Infantry, for service on the frontier and coast defense of Texas. He served in this capacity from the date of his enlistment until the close of the war. The principal engagements in which he took part were those in Louisiana, following Banks' Red river campaign, namely: Milliken's Bend, Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, and Yellow Bayou.
Returning to Texas at the close of the war, Mr. Felton, in partnership with his brother, engaged in the stock business in Milam county, ranging along the San Gabriel river. In 1867 he purchased 320 acres of wild land in the San Gabriel valley, on which he settled and began farming on a small scale, still continuing the stock business and giving his attention chiefly to sheep. Two years later he married and, he and his brother having divided their stock, he settled on his place and enlarged his farming operations and also increased his flocks of sheep. He was successfully engaged in these pursuits for about six years, when the sheep industry began to decline and he lost considerable money on his investments in this line. He continued his farming operations actively, however, and received good returns from this source. His surplus was invested in lands, so that until within a recent date, when he parted with a considerable part of his holdings, he was one of the largest land owner in the San Gabriel valley. Mr. Felton still has a splendid farm, consisting of about 600 acres, half of which is under cultivation and all of it more of less improved and well stocked with good breeds of horses, cattle, and hogs. This farm is located in one of the richest agricultural sections of the county.
December 16,1869, Mr. Felton married Miss Martha Miles, of Milam county. She died August 10, 1884, leaving six children: Thomas F. Felton, Henry Elbert Felton, Charles Wilbur Felton, Lenora Ann Felton, Laura M. Felton and Walters Felton.
We must say a special thank you to Sylvia Thomas of Georgetown, Texas, for typing the above biographical sketch for use on the Milam County TXGenWeb site.
Created on 23 May 2004 and last revised on ____________