NOTE: In 2003, written permission was granted to the Milam County Genealogical Society to publish this out-of-print book on-line by the surviving author.
|Memorials & Petitions||8|
|Index to the 1850 Census||26|
|Original Land Grants and Patents||48|
Milam County is one of the original counties of Texas, and its settlement was simply an extension of the American frontier. It was the very heart of Robertson’s colony. To reach the colony, travelers used two principal routes. The first was the San Antonio road, first used in 1691, that ran from Natchitoches, Louisiana, through Nacogdoches, Tenoxtitlan, and San Antonio to the Rio Grande. From Tenoxtitlan the colonists moved up into the Robertson colony. The second route was by water from New Orleans to the mouth of the Brazos River and then overland into the up country. Settlers coming from Missouri were apt to travel to Nacogdoches along Trammel’s Trace which ran from Conway, Arkansas to Nacogdoches. Many evaded the Mexican passport regulations passed by the Law of April 6, 1830, by traveling a circuitous passage around Nacogdoches, known as the Tennesseean Road, that had been blazed by Alexander Thomson.
In 1834 Sterling Clack Robertson, who organized the colony, laid out a town on the west bank of the Brazos at the falls of the river, in what is now Falls County. It was called Sarahville de Viesca, and the land commissioner kept his office and records here. In May, 1834, a town was founded in Milam County and was called Nashville. Only two families were there in 1834 when Calvin Boales, together with Raif A. Tandy, William Moore, and William Smith arrived; these were the families of James McLaughlin and Dr. Robert Davidson.
The first county seat of Milam County was the town of Milam, the name of which had been changed in 1835 from Sarahville de Viesca to honor Benjamin Rush Milam who had been killed December 7, 1835, during the Siege of Bexar. It continued to be called Sarahville, however, and no county business was ever transacted there. It was soon abandoned due to Indian disturbances, and Nashville became the “de facto” county seat. The organization of Milam County began on December 20, 1836, when President Sam Houston nominated, and the Senate elected, Massillon Farley as chief justice.
In 1837 the county boundaries were, on the south, the San Antonio-Nacogdoches road, running across present Burleson County; on the east, the divide between the Brazos and Trinity Rivers; on the west, the divide between the Brazos and Colorado Rivers; and on the north, a clump of live oaks in the cross timbers. Out of Milam County, in addition to the present limits of Milam, were entirely created 15 counties: Bell, Bosque, Burleson, Coryell, Erath, Falls, Hamilton, Hood, Jones, McLennan, Robertson, Shackelford, Somervell, Stephens and Williamson. There were partially created 18 counties: Brazos, Brown, Burnet, Callahan, Comanche, Eastland, Haskell, Hill, Johnson, Lampasas, Lee, Limestone, Mills, Palo Pinto, Parker, Stonewall, Throckmorton, and Young. 
In preparing this book the following thought was kept in mind: try to REPLACE as many records as possible to compensate for those lost when the Court House in Cameron burned in 1874.
It is easy to see that this can be done. Tombstone inscriptions often provide marriage dates, relationships, military service, place of birth, etc., and land grants and patents can often substitute for deeds. In fact, sufficient material has been collected to publish a second volume of Milam County records in the near future.
In preparing this book another thought was always important: do not change any spelling. Every effort was made to preserve the original spelling of names in various records. The original handwritten memorials and petitions were particularly difficult to decipher. Genealogists and other researchers are urged to bear in mind that several spellings of a single name do not reflect errors – they reflect the records.
Compiled by Mrs. John Truman Martin (nee: Evelyn Curtsinger) and Mrs. Louis C. Hill (nee: Kathryn Curtsinger) of the Central Texas Genealogical Society, Waco Public Library, 1717 Austin Ave., Waco, Texas, 76701.
 Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas, p. 18, 19, 27, 33, 34.
We must say a special thank you to Vickie Pounders Everhart of Red Oak, Texas and Pat Wheeler of Houston, Texas, for re-typing this book for use on the Milam County TXGenWeb site.
Created on 5 May 2004 and last revised on 11 Jan 2005