Milam County, Texas

dixie bar

Private F. M. Cave & Private Wayne Cave
Company E, 4th Texas Cavalry (Milam County Guards - Captain Charles Buckholts’ Company, 1st Regiment, Sibley’s Brigade, Texas Mounted Volunteers)

[Left to Right] McGinnis Clark (age 82) and his mother, Jewel Carver Clark (age 100) at the grave of her great-grandfather, Henry W. Cave attending the Confederate Gravemarker Dedication Ceremonies on Sunday, 18 May 2003 at the Hurt-Graham Cemetery in Milano, Milam County, Texas. Jewel is the grandniece of F.M. & Wayne Cave and their oldest living family member.

[Note: Jewel died on 14 Aug 2006 and McGinnis died on 5 Jan 2007.]

dixie bar

Private F. M. Cave and his brother, Private Wayne Cave, were members of Company E, 4th Texas Cavalry (also known as the Milam County Guards or Captain Charles Buckholts’ Company, 1st Regiment, Sibley’s Brigade, Texas Mounted Volunteers). They were the sons of Henry W. Cave and Nancy Jane Bass Cave and were born in the area of Clarke County, Alabama. The family later moved to Enterprise, Clarke County, Mississippi and they moved to Texas in the 1850s and were living in the Elevation, Milam County, Texas by 1860.

The brothers were the grandsons of John Cave (Jr.) who served in the War of 1812 and Lucinda Causey. Their great-grandparents were John Cave (Sr.) who served during the American Revolution and Sarah Wilson Brown, daughter of William Brown who was also a Patriot of the American Revolution. Sarah’s brother, Tarlton Brown was a hero in the American Revolution. During the American Revolution, Sarah’s father, William Brown, and several members of the family were killed by the British at their home in the Barnwell District, South Carolina. For more information, read Tarlton’s autobiography, ”Memoirs of Tarlton Brown: A Captain in the American Revolution.” The boy’s maternal grandparents were Uriah Bass, Jr., who was an Emissary of the Republic of Texas, and Rutha Pipkin.

Wayne, born ca. 1837, was enrolled by Captain Buckholts on Monday, 9 September 1861 in Milam County, Texas and mustered into service by Lieutenant Lane on Wednesday, 18 September 1861 in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. He died on Thursday, 27 March 1862.

F. M. (thought, by family tradition, to stand for Francis Marion), born ca. 1839, was enrolled by Captain Buckholts on Wednesday, 2 October 1861 in Milam County, Texas and mustered into service by Lieutenant Lane on Tuesday, 8 October 1861 in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. He is shown dead on the Company Muster Roll with service through Wednesday, 30 April 1862.

The exact burial location of the brothers in New Mexico is unknown. Memorial gravemarkers were placed in the Hurt-Graham Cemetery in Elevation (near Milano), Milam County, Texas, at the foot of their father’s grave.

It is presumed Wayne was buried somewhere on Johnson’s Ranch in Santa Fe County and F.M., according to family lore, may have died at a hospital in the City of Santa Fe and was buried in an unmarked grave. However, extensive research in the New Mexico State Archives and the Texas State Archives did not uncover any documentation related to their deaths and burials.

Two of their brothers were Confederate Veterans: Clark(e) Uriah Cave [Co. B, 35th (Brown’s) Texas Cavalry] and Hiram David Cave [Co. D, 18th Texas Cavalry]. Additionally, one of their nephews was a Confederate Veteran: William Clayton Knight [Co. A, 2nd Texas Cavalry, Col. Ford’s Regiment], son of their sister, Martha Cave Knight Carver.

Neither F.M. nor Wayne ever married. Their only descendants are through the children of their brothers and sisters: John B. Cave (b.abt. Jan 1827); Martha Cave (Dec 1827-1904; married: (1) James S. Knight & (2) Thomas Carver); Nancy Elizabeth Cave (1829-1877; married: Richard Hurt); Clark(e) Uriah Cave (1838-1907); Lucy Ann Cave (b.abt. 1844-d.abt. 1904; married: James Monroe Clendennen); Mary Jane Cave (b.abt. 1843-d.abt. 1877; married: Levi Chapman Griffin); Hiram David Cave (1845-1896); Permia/Permilia Cave (b.abt. 1847); Mollie Cave ( 1872-1874; married: James J. Hairston); James Monroe Cave (1850-1876); Jefferson Davis Cave (1853-1884); and, Jack Cave (b.abt. 1855).

The 4th Texas Cavalry was originally organized in September 1861, in San Antonio, Texas. It was made-up of 10 companies and the unit was also known as the 4th Regiment of Texas Mounted Volunteers. They were commanded by Colonel James Reily who was a politician from Houston, Harris County, Texas, who was a veteran of the Mexican War. Reily served in the Diplomatic Corps of the Republic of Texas, and later as a United States Consul in Russia. He was killed at the Battle of Irish Bend in Franklin, Louisiana on 14 April 1863.

The New Mexico Campaign was Brigadier General Henry Hopkins Sibley's daring plan to take three regiments of volunteers to be raised in Texas and strike north up the Río Grande into New Mexico, capturing the weakly-held Federal forts and their stores of supplies, gathering more volunteers from sympathizers in the countryside, and driving the Federal army out of the territory.

Sibley envisioned the conquest of Colorado, whose gold mining profits would be diverted to aid the Confederacy. From Colorado, he and his expanded army of conquest would march to San Francisco, acquiring a seaport that would be impossible for the Federals to blockade. With the Confederacy reaching from coast to coast, leaders in Europe would be likely to recognize it as a nation. Davis approved Sibley's plan, made him a Brigadier General, and gave him permission to raise the troops he required in Texas.

Sibley returned at once to San Antonio, to spend the Summer of 1861 to raise his brigade, consisting of the 4th, 5th, and 7th Texas Mounted Volunteers. Sibley encountered delays in enlisting and equipping his troops, which resulted in a late departure. The first wave left San Antonio for Franklin, Texas, in late October 1861. Sibley had unintentionally embarked upon a winter campaign in a territory of high steppe deserts, whose plateaus more often than not rose a mile above sea level. Two full regiments of Sibley's Brigade, the 4th and 5th Texas Mounted Volunteers, left San Antonio for New Mexico in late October and early November, traveling in small detachments because of the scarcity of water along their route of march. The third regiment in the brigade, the 7th Texas Mounted Volunteers, was still incomplete at the time of its departure for New Mexico in late November.

The first advance of Sibley's army arrived in Franklin, Texas, in mid-December. Hoping to gain foreign recognition for the Confederacy and to forestall any attempt by Union forces to cross Mexico, Sibley sent Colonel Reily of the 4th Texas on a diplomatic mission to the Mexican states of Sonora and Chihuahua. Lieutenant Colonel William R. Scurry assumed command of the regiment in Reily's absence. Reily bid his men farewell on Christmas Day in a camp just north of the Mexican border. Sibley's army had entered New Mexico Territory. Moving north up the Río Grande, the 4th Texas established a camp above Fort Thorn, 70-miles from Fort Craig.

The 4th Texas’ first skirmish was on Sunday, 16 February through Thursday, 20 February 1862 at Fort Craig, New Mexico Territory. On the night of 20 February, approximately 150 mules, used to pull supply wagons, were carelessly allowed to run off toward the Rio Grande looking for water.

The Battle of Val Verde was on Friday, 21 February 1862, the Confederates defeated the Union forces led by Colonel Edward R. S. Canby. Among the Union troops was the First New Mexico Volunteer Regiment, led by Colonel Christopher "Kit" Carson. Losses were about equal on each side. The Confederates failed to take Fort Craig. The unit marched onward and on Friday, 28 March 1862, the Confederates defeated the Union forces in the Battle of Glorietta Pass. Union reinforcements had come from the Colorado territory. These men were mostly miners, and were called "Pike's Peakers." When their supply train was destroyed, the Confederates were forced to retreat to Santa Fe.

Company E was commanded by Captain Charles Buckholts, who was killed at the Battle of Glorietta Pass on Friday, 28 March 1862 and the town of Buckholts in Milam County, Texas was named in his honor.

If F.M. lived after the Battle of Glorietta Pass and died prior to Wednesday, 30 April 1862, it is possible he participated in Battle of Peralta on Tuesday, 15 April 1862. In this skirmish, there were light casualties on both sides and the fighting ended when a strong dust storm blew into the area.

The New Mexico Campaign ended in May 1862 when a lack of supplies caused Sibley's Brigade to withdraw toward San Antonio.

This mounted infantry unit was originally assigned to Sibley's Brigade and was surrendered by General E. K. Smith, commanding the Trans-Mississippi Dept., on Friday, 26 May 1865. During the war, the 4th Texas Cavalry lost 76 men killed, 186 wounded, 136 died of disease, and 910 horses killed.

To learn more about the Battle of Val Verde, Battle of Gloreita Pass, Sibley Campaign or the 4th Texas Cavalry, please refer to the Handbook of Texas in print form or on-line at

dixie bar

Written by Lynna Kay Shuffield, Oran M. Roberts Chapter 440, United Daughters of the Confederacy®

BACK to Milam County, Texas webpage

Created on 20 May 2003 and last revised on 14 Mar 2007