SOURCE: History of Texas, Together with a Biographical History of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson Counties. (Chicago, IL: Lewis, 1893), p. 467-468.
Garrett E. King, a prominent business man of Taylor, was born in Lowndes county, Mississippi, in 1858, a son of John King, a native of South Carolina. In an early day the latter moved with his parents to Mississippi, where he received a limited education. In 1859 he landed in Robertson county, Texas, and was there engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1869.
At the opening of the late war he joined Colonel Fordís company, and for about three years served on the western frontier of Texas. During that time he was in constant danger from ambush by the Indians and Mexicans, who at that time were laying waste that part of the country. They were probably in greater danger than those following Lee, Johnston or Jackson. The western soldiers had always to guard against an attack on the rear or against ambush, and, although on an open plain, each sage bush might conceal a savage.
After the close of the struggle Mr. King returned home, and, like many others who had fought for their country, found himself as he had started in the world. Although an old Texas pioneer, he has never taken an active part in political matters, but votes with the Democratic party.
Mr. King was united in marriage with Miss Mary Manahan, and they had four children: G. E. King, our subject; Ophelia A. King, wife of A. G. Bass, of Temple, Texas; Florence King, wife of H. L. Long, of Bremond, this State; and Laura King, deceased at eleven years.
Mrs. King died about 1878, having been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church for many years.
In 1879, Mr. King married Miss Florence Ferney. They had three children: Katie King, John King and Otis King.
Mr. King still continues to reside upon and operate his farm a short distance from Taylor.
Garrett E. King, the subject of this sketch, was brought to Robinson county, Texas, when only a few months old, and at the age of ten years moved with his father to the immediate vicinity of Grand View, Johnson county, where he attended the country schools. He accompanied his father through various counties in Texas, and at the age of nineteen years began life for himself, as manager of a plantation.
Mr. King managed successfully different farms for four years. At the age of twenty-three years he engaged in the beer and ice business at a small place known as Milano Junction, but in 1883 came with his family to Taylor, although he had previously established a beer trade in this city. After locating here Mr. King purchased the coal business from the Taylor Hardware Company, and since that time has had a large and lucrative trade.
In addition to his other interests, he also owns a fine farm of 800 acres near Taylor, 200 acres of which is cultivated, and he feeds a large number of cattle and hogs. He also owns considerable city property.
December 7, 1882, Mr. King was married to Mrs. Mary W. Allen, a daughter of Willis and Mallie (Dennis) Johnson, natives of Virginia.
To this union have been born four children: Ethel King, Mamie King, Lewis King and Frank King.
Mrs. King is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Our subject affiliates with Alamo Lodge, No. 54, K. of P.
We must say a special thank you to Lyndal Fisher of San Angelo, Texas, for typing the above biographical sketch for use on the Milam County TXGenWeb site.
Created on 12 Aug 2004 and last revised on ____________