Rockdale Full Gospel Chapel was organized on Tuesday, July 24 1956 in a specially called meeting at the residence of Rev. and Mrs. Millard E. Brown, 525 East Davilla Avenue, with about 40 members present. Officers of the church were: Rev. Brown, Pastor; Trustees, Calvin Eiland, Theo Springer, and Joe Pelzel, Jr; Secretary, Mrs. Earl Schneebeli.
For the first month the newly-formed church met in the American Legion Hall on North Main Street. During this time, five lots were purchased on North Burleson Street, and the educational building of the old First Christian Church was bought and moved to this location, with the first service being held there the first Sunday in September 1956. In January 1956 improvements were made, and an addition to the original building made, providing a larger sanctuary. Within a few years both the church building and property were debt-free.
Full Gospel Chapel is an associate of the Full Gospel Evangelistic Association, with headquarters and Bible School in Houston, Texas. The term “Full Gospel” denotes a desire and attempt to believe and adhere to the entire teachings of the Bible, and is inter-denominational in character, fellowshipping all children of God. Its outreach includes regular religious services, revivals, vacation Bible schools, and other special services and works. It actively supports a missionary program, with missionaries in several foreign countries. A special offering for this work is made the second Sunday morning of each month. It has an active youth program with Eugene Taylor as Director.
The church as newly decorated in 1974.
Present offers include: Pastor, Rev. Millard E. Brown, Sunday School Superintendent, Bill Davis, Sunday School Secretary, Mrs. Thomas Grabener; Trustees, Wayne Roberts, Earl Schneebeli and Eugene Taylor; Church Secretary, Mrs. Earl Schneebeli.
Rev. Brown has served as Pastor since the church as organized in 1956.
Submitted by Rev. Millard E. Brown.
We must say a special thank you to Norine Daniel Katich of Jacksonville, FL, for re-typing the above church history for use on the Milam County TXGenWeb site.
Created on 19 Aug 2004 and last revised on _________ 2004