The First Assembly of God Church has been in Rockdale sine the year of 1948. This church grew out of a revival conducted by Reverend C. C. Gee.
The first church structure was located at 210 Houston Street. The foundation for this building was laid on March 1st, 1948. Work progressed and the first service was held in the new building June 16, 1948.
This church was recognized by the Assemblies of God as a dependent assembly until October 1, 1953, when it was duly set in order by Reverend W. W. Cothran, Presbyter of the Austin section. This made the church a sovereign assembly recognized by the North Texas District Council and the General Council of the Assemblies of God.
On May 23, 1949, five people went together to form the charter membership.
They are:Vernie Lee Zercher
The church used this building until 1958 when they began construction on their present facilities. The former building was purchased by the Latin American Assembly of God congregation.
In August of 1958, Reverend R. H. Zercher, pastor, started work on the new plant which stands at 304 Childress. Work was completed in January 1959. The first service in the new building was conducted in December of 1958. Rev. C. M. Ward, national radio speaker of the Assemblies of God, ministered the dedicatiory sermon.
An extensive remodeling program was began in October 1971, under the leadership of Rev. Larry Thomas.
Pastors (in order of service):Rev. C. C. Gee
Weddings (this list in inconclusive as there were no formal records kept):Rev. Gordon D. Zercher, Rockdale, & Janie Lincoln, Salty
Baptisms (also inconclusive):Children of Alvin Praesel
Baby Dedications (inconclusive):Larry Dockall
Funerals (inconclusive):Mrs. Callie Dye
We must say a special thank you to Norine Daniel Katich of Jacksonville, FL, for re-typing the above church history for use on the Milam County TXGenWeb site.
Created on 18 May 2004 and last revised on 23 May 2004