Around 1871, the church was organized by a group of about 25 persons. They worshipped in homes, under trees, in the fields or wherever they found it convenient.
Later, in 1891, the church was divided. Some of the members pulled out and led by Rev. Jesse Herron organized Herron’s Chapel.
They were: Rev. & Mrs. Jesse Herron, Sister Mollie Arnwine and Sister Staples. There were eight children who were non-members. They were: Mary Horn, Cora Kimble, Ike Staples, Joseph Kimble, Rachel Kimble, Reginet Williams, Charles Herron and Hanna Herron.
During the division of the State Convention Herron’s Chapel was renamed New Hope Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. S. McDavis.
Rev. Riley Williams of Burleson county was the first pastor of Springfield Baptist Church and has been followed by 18 ministers, which group included Rev. W. C. Daniel.
During the lengthy pastorate of Rev. W. C. Daniel, another group left Springfield and joined New Hope and different other churches. Rev. Daniel was called from “Labor to Reward” on November 26, 1969.
In 1970, Springfield Baptist Church was blessed with another leader in the person of Rev. T. R. Simmons who is leading us on the Narrow Path to Glory. We hope to follow in his steps as God directs and lights the way so he can see the way clearly.
Under his leadership we started building the New Church on April 24, 1973, and it will be completed by June 1974.
Created on 20 Apr 2004 and last revised on _____________