Rockdale Reporter, Thurs., 13 Nov 1913, p. 10 c. 3 & 4
Our Confederate Corner
B. V. Arnold (photograph)
B. V. Arnold was born in Abbeville District, South Carolina April 28, 1845. He was reared on a plantation near Rome on the Ethwa River.
He enlisted in the Confederate cause in December 1861 in the Army of Northern Virginia, Longstreet’s Corps., Hood’s Texas Brigade, Eighteenth Georgia, Company F, as a private serving as a private all the time. At Sharpsburg on September 17, 1862, he was wounded and captured. Was imprisoned at Camp Chase, Ohio but by a piece of strategy managed to secure his transfer to Johnson Island where he remained until the latter part of ‘63. Was then exchanged, paroled, and discharged on account of physical disabilities resulting from his wound.
In 1864 he re-enlisted in Hargrove’s Battalion Mounted Infantry and served in that command until the latter part of April 1865. He was paroled at Kingston, Georgia near his old home.
After the war in a devastated land he was the sole support of a widowed mother and children; besides his brother’s widow and during the days of reconstruction he eked out a living for all by farming.
On January 26, 1869 he was married to Miss Georgia Newton. Moved to Texas in October, 1887 and settled at Milano, where his wife died in 1888, leaving him with six children, one of whom died the following June.
In January 1889 he again married, his bride being the Widow Bell of Rome, Ga. They have lived continuously in Milam county since that time, for the past 14 years in Rockdale.
Mr. Arnold is the father of ten children. He is a Methodist, and a fine old Southern gentleman, gentle as a woman, true as steel to his friends and faithful to his trusts. At the present writing he is not in robust health and is sojourning at Marlin under the care of specialists. The Reporter trusts that he will be enabled to return home with increased vigor and vitality and be spared for many years yet.
We must say a special thank you to Vanessa Burzynski of Katy, Texas, for typing the above for use on the Milam County TXGenWeb site.
Created on 21 June 2005 and last revised on ____________