Marjorie is located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad 5-miles west of Rockdale. Here branches off the Rockdale Sandow and Southern Railroad which leads to Rockdale Works of the Aluminum Company of America [ALCOA].
Construction of the six mile long Rockdale Sandow and Southern Railroad was stared by the Federal Fuel Company in 1918. Before the little railroad could get into operation, the Federal Fuel Company went bankrupt, and not until the McAlester Fuel Company took over, did it begin to run. The McAlester Fuel company’s first car went out of the Sandow Station Christmas Eve of 1923.
The Rockdale Sandow and Southern Railroad hauled as many as 6,552 carloads of lignite a year over its roadbed from Sandow to Marjorie.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 100)
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.