The community of Eagle in Milam County was 9-miles due south of Rockdale. In 1894 it consisted of a Primitive Baptist Church and a school.
In 1893 Mr. Jim White deeded an acre of land for the church, which was moved to this location from Beulah, a community in Lee County.
In 1894 Mr. Jim White also deeded one acre of land adjoining the church ground to the school, which was then moved to one-half mile away to this location.
Pleasant Wendell was the first person buried in the Eagle Cemetery, which is across the road and just north of the church and school.
In the early 1900’s there was a post office in the Neal Holliman home, which was very near Eagle. The mail was brought from Tanglewood by “horseback.”
An elderly doctor named “Wilson” lived in the Neal Holliman home a few years beginning with 1903. This was a great convenience for the people of this area.
Four times a year, at a Sunday preaching service, the pastor and members of this Primitive Baptist Church (called Hardshell Baptist Church) conducted “foot washing” services. This was a solemn and impressive service.
As time moved on, the members of the church moved away. Some time between 1930 and 1935 the church was moved to Rockdale. Services were held there until 1940 when the church was disbanded.
Eagle was the first school district in Milam County to build a new school, using money from a Rural State Air Fund, created between 1914 and 1916.
In 1918 Mr. Jim Tyler sold three acres of land to Eagle school. This afforded more playground for the pupils.
Mrs. Alma Doss was the last teacher of the Eagle school. She and the pupils were moved to the Rockdale school in 1939.
In 1948 the Eagle school building was moved to Aycock School in Rockdale. In 1966 it was moved to its present location at the Rockdale Elementary School.
At the present time, the cemetery is all that is left of the Eagle Community.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 95)
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.