Turnham Bluff is on Little River near the McCown bridge, about 2-miles southeast of Cameron in Milam County.
It was named for Josiah Joplin Turnham, who settled there with his family in 1840. Turnham Bluff was the landing site of the Washington, a steamboat which Basil M. Hatfield piloted up the river in 1850, bringing merchandise for Cameron residents.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.