Yarrellton (also found spelled as: Yaralton or Yarrelton) is located on Farm Road 1915, about 9-miles northwest of Cameron in northwestern Milam County.
It was settled in the late 1860s by families from Alabama and was named in honor of Judge Tom Yarrell, who was one of the first settlers.
A post office opened in 1886, and by 1890 the community had a corn mill and gin, two general stores, and a population of 50. The Yarrellton Baptist Church was established in 1892, and services were held in the local school. Yarrellton was known for its camp meetings and 4th of July picnics, which sometimes attracted more than 1,000 people from around the county.
Two churches, four businesses, and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in 1941, and the population was reported as 58. Yarrellton had 35 residents in 1988 and 1990.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.