Vogelsang was located on a country road near the intersection of Farm roads 1444 and 1445, about 8-miles north of Cameron in northern Milam County.
The predominantly German community was founded in the 1880s and named for a pioneer family.
In 1903 the St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized and built and dedicated a church in the community. In 1940 Vogelsang had a school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. The school was closed by the 1950s, the church moved to a new building in nearby Ben Arnold in 1952, and by 1988 all that remained of the community was a cemetery.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.