Val Verde is located on Farm Road 437, about 16-miles west of Cameron in western Milam County.
It was established in 1868 and named for the Civil War battle of Val Verde in New Mexico, in which two companies from Milam County participated.
James Pittman Whittington donated land for a church and a cemetery at the community. In 1903 Val Verde had a one-teacher school for 26 students. The Val Verde school district was consolidated with the Sharp district in 1941, but it withdrew from Sharp in 1961 and divided itself between the Holland and Rogers districts in Bell County. Val Verde had a population of 25 in 1990.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.