Talbott Ridge was a small farming community located near U.S. Highway 79, about 4-miles northeast of Rockdale in south central Milam County.
It was named for M. Talbott, an early landowner.
In 1903 Talbott Ridge had a two-teacher school with 66 students. The county built a dipping vat near the community in 1919 because of an epidemic of Texas fever that had broken out among area livestock.
A school and a few scattered houses marked Talbott Ridge on county highway maps in the 1940s. The Talbott Ridge school was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1954. By the 1980s Talbott Ridge was no longer shown on county highway maps.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.