Photograph from thesis, History of Education in Milam County by Mary Belle Batte - ca. 1936
|Marker Title||Site of Mission Nuestra Sen. de la Candelaria|
|Location||CR428 North crest of San Gabriel valley|
|Year Marker Erected||ca. 1936|
|Text on Marker||Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre Jose Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused the departure of the Indians and the friars and the removal of this mission to the San Marcos River in 1755. Reestablished in 1762 on the Sabinal River for the conversion of the Lipan Apaches with the same name of Nuestra Senora de la Candelaria. Centennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1936|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - Apr 2004|
Created on 23 Apr 2004 and last revised on _____________.