Photograph from thesis, History of Education in Milam County by Mary Belle Batte - ca. 1936
|Marker Title||Site of Mission San Francisco Xavier de Los Dolores|
|Location||North side of FM 908|
|Year Marker Erected||ca. 1936|
|Text on Marker||Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre Jose Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused the departure of the Indians and the friars and the removal of this mission to the San Marcos River in 1755. Reestablished in 1762 on the San Saba River for the conversion of the Lipan Apaches with the new name of Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba. Centennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1936|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - Aug 2003|
Created on 23 Apr 2004 and last revised on ________.