Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba - 19 Aug 2003
|Marker Title||Mount Zion Baptist Church|
|Location||west on FM 487 1.3 miles from Rockdale, 4.7 miles on FM 1712600|
|Year Marker Erected||1995|
|Text on Marker||Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, organized in 1872 (4.5 mi. W), and Fellowship Baptist Church, formed about 1877 in Minerva (2 mi. N), merged in 1895 to form Mount Zion Baptist Church. The Rev. N. J. Dyer served as first pastor. Services were held in a building relocated to two acres here in 1895. In 1941 membership expanded, a Women's Missionary Union was formed, and the church joined the Milam County Association. Over the years new facilities have been built, including a new sanctuary in 1982. The church continues to be active in missionary outreach and community educational programs. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - Aug 2003|
Created on 19 Aug 2003 and last revised on 23 Apr 2004.