Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba - 19 Aug 2003
|Marker Title||First Baptist Church of Rockdale|
|Address||240 Green St.|
|Year Marker Erected||1999|
|Text on Marker||The community of Rockdale sprang up around a railroad camp in 1873. The Rev. B. B. Baxter arrived in 1874 and established a Baptist church with 18 charter members. The Rev. Mr. Baxter conducted services in a room above a dry goods store shared with other denominations. He was succeeded by the Rev. Vandevere, on the 18 chartered members, in 1876. At the urging of rival leader W. E. Penn and the Rev. Dr. J. H. Stripling, a simple structure was erected for worship services in 1881. A new building was erected on this site in 1919. The church grew steadily; a Latin American mission established in the 1950s became a full southern baptist church complex was built in 1972. The congregation remains active in community service and missionary work. (1999)|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - Aug 2003|
Created on 19 Aug 2003 and last revised on 23 Apr 2004 2003.