Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba - 15 Aug 2003
|Marker Title||Railroads in Rockdale|
|Address||100 N. Main St.|
|Year Marker Erected||2001|
|Text on Marker||Rockdale owes its founding to the International & Great Northern rail line, along which the town was laid out in 1873-74. The railroad gave area farmers access to markets for their crops, and Rockdale became a shipping point for farmers and other local businesses. The San Antonio & Aransas Pass (later Southern Pacific) Railroad operated a north-south route through Rockdale from 1891 to 1959, further contributing to economic growth. The Rockdale, Sandow and Southern Railroad, chartered in 1923 to carry lignite coal to area customers, became Rockdale's third rail line. Although the last passenger train left Rockdale in 1970, the railroad remains a significant part of the community's heritage. (2001)|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - Aug 2003|
Created on 18 Aug 2003 and last revised on 23 Apr 2004.