Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba - 15 Aug 2003
|Marker Title||First Christian Church of Rockdale|
|Address||231 N. Burleson|
|Year Marker Erected||1987|
|Text on Marker||Organized in 1887, this church was first served by the Rev. A. J. Bush, Sr. (1846-1920), a Civil War veteran who was instrumental in establishing Christian churches in many areas of the state. Previous buildings on this site were replaced in 1958 by a new brick sanctuary, with volunteers from the congregation providing most of the labor. The church has been involved in local and foreign missionary activities for many years. Offering assistance to people in need, the First Christian Church continues to be an important part of the Rockdale community. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - Aug 2003|
Created on 18 Aug 2003 and last revised on 23 Apr 2004.