Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 27 July 2003
|Marker Title||Urban Cemetery|
|Location||1 mile west of Sharp on FM 487, then 0.7 mile south on CR 414 and 0.3 mile east on CR 412|
|Year Marker Erected||2001|
|Text on Marker||This burial ground is named for Julius Paul Urban (1848-1923), a Wendish immigrant who deeded 1.05 acres of land for use as a cemetery in the late 1890s. The oldest known grave is that of Madalena Denker, who died in 1903. The cemetery also contains numerous graves of infants and children dating from the early years of the 20th century. Many tombstones bear German-language inscriptions, reflecting the area's strong German heritage. Although the Lutheran church and school that once served the Felton, Duncan and Sharp communities no longer exist, the Urban cemetery remains in use for this rural part of Milam County. (2001)|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 23 Apr 2004.