Star TXGenWeb Project Star USGenWeb Project Star


Milam County, Texas - Historical Markers

[Barbwire]

Sharp



[Click Above to See Full Size Image]

Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 27 July 2003

Marker TitleSharp
Address.
LocationFR 487, 14 miles west of Rockdale
CitySharp
Year Marker Erected1987
Designationsn/a
Text on MarkerA farming and ranching community, Sharp traces its origins to the years immediately after the Civil War when settlers, attracted by the fertile black soil, began arriving in this area. The first business, a store, opened in 1892. It was soon joined by a blacksmith shop and the Davis General Store in 1896. Cotton was the principal crop of the area, and a gin opened in 1896. When a post office was established here in 1901, the name Sharp was chosen to honor Dr. William F. Sharp, a physician in Davilla (8 mi. W). An annual reunion of Sharp residents began in 1978.
SourceTexas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003

[Barbwire]

BACK to Milam County Historical Markers

BACK to Milam County TXGenWeb Page

Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 23 Apr 2004.