Star TXGenWeb Project Star USGenWeb Project Star


Milam County, Texas - Historical Markers

[Barbwire]

Sharp General Store



[Click Above to See Full Size Image]

Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 27 July 2003

Marker TitleSharp General Store
Address.
LocationThe marker is located at the intersection of FM 487 & CR 409
CitySharp
Year Marker Erected1995
DesignationsRecorded Texas Historic Landmark
Text on MarkerCivil War veteran Daniel G. Davis, Sr. (1836-1927) built this structure in two stages in 1895 and 1896. The Sharp General Store, which Davis and his descendants operated here until 1985, was the area's largest mercantile facility and main outlet for local produce. It offered banking services, public scales, and a place for local citizens to socialize and enjoy water from a barrel on the porch. It is a fine example of late 19th century free-standing commercial architecture. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995
SourceTexas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003

[Barbwire]

BACK to Milam County Historical Markers

BACK to Milam County TXGenWeb Page

Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 23 Apr 2004.