Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 27 July 2003
|Marker Title||Sharp Cemetery|
|Location||14 miles northwest of Rockdale on FM 487|
|Year Marker Erected||2000|
|Text on Marker||The earliest marked grave in this graveyard is that of Susan F. Dilworth, who died in January 1880. John Gordon and his wife M. L. Gordon deeded two acres of land on this site to the trustees of Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church in 1882, stating that the western half of the land should be used for burial purposes. When the church was moved and demolished in later years, gravestones were broken and leaning, but the cemetery continued to serve the Sharp community. There were about 56 marked graves at the turn of the 20th century, many of them belonging to children and infants. A cemetery organization formed in 1949 to oversee the site's care and maintenance. Additional land that once had belonged to the church was deeded to and became part of the cemetery. At the dawn of the 21st century, the graveyard contained almost 400 graves. (2000)|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 23 Apr 2004.