Star TXGenWeb Project Star USGenWeb Project Star


Milam County, Texas - Historical Markers

[Barbwire]

Site of the Mission San Ildefonso

[Click Above to See Full Size Image]

Photograph by Milam County Deputy
Sheriff Greg Kouba & Milam County Deputy
Sheriff Reese Lockett - 27 July 2003
[Click Above to See Full Size Image]

Photograph from thesis, History of
Education in Milam County
by Mary
Belle Batte - ca. 1936


Marker TitleSite of the Mission San Ildefonso
Address.
LocationThe marker is located 6-miles east of San Gabrielon FM 908
Citynear San Gabriel
Year Marker Erected1936
Designationsn/a
Text on MarkerEstablished by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre Jose Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused the departure of the Indians and the friars and the removal of this mission to the San Marcos River in 1755. Reestablished in 1762 on the Nueces River for the conversion of the Lipan Apaches with the new name of Mission San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz.
SourceTexas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003

[Barbwire]

BACK to Milam County Historical Markers

BACK to Milam County TXGenWeb Page

Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 21 Apr 2004.