Star TXGenWeb Project Star USGenWeb Project Star


Milam County, Texas - Historical Markers

[Barbwire]

Locklin Cemetery



[Click Above to See Full Size Image]

Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 27 July 2003

Marker TitleLocklin Cemetery
Address.
Locationapprox. 1.2 miles east of San Gabriel; 5 miles west of Thorndale off FR 486
Citynear Thorndale & San Gabriel
Year Marker Erected1994
Designationsn/a
Text on MarkerAbigale McLennan Fokes acquired a Mexican land grant here in 1835. Peter M. Mercer established a blacksmith shop in this area in the early 1840s. His burial in 1844 is the first recorded in this cemetery. Fokes later set aside this site for cemetery purposes. The cemetery is believed to be named for the extended family of early area settler William Lawson Locklin. It presently contains about 400 burials including many of this area's frontier settlers and their descendants and veterans of the Texas revolution and Republic of Texas army. It continues to serve the area.
SourceTexas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003

[Barbwire]

BACK to Milam County Historical Markers

BACK to Milam County TXGenWeb Page

Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 21 Apr 2004.