Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 27 July 2003
|Location||5 miles east of Davilla on FM 487 at its intersection with FM 3061|
|Year Marker Erected||1990|
|Text on Marker||Primarily a farming and stockraising settlement, Lilac was originally known as Oak Point. Dr. John H. Graves, a dentist and planter, brought his family to Milam County in 1858. The community which developed around his farm was named Lilac in 1883 when a U. S. post office was established. The Graves family continued to reside in the area for generations, donating land for a school, Baptist church, and Methodist encampment. At its height Lilac included two stores, a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, and homes. It declined after a 1921 flood and the Great Depression. (1990)|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 21 Apr 2004.