Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 27 July 2003
|Marker Title||Hope Lutheran Church|
|Location||US 190 - left on 10th St. at corner of Avenue B|
|Year Marker Erected||1990|
|Text on Marker||Founded in 1890, this congregation began with twelve charter members led by German missionary Julius Schroeder. Early worship services were held in homes and in a local school building. The Rev. H. F. Daude was called to serve the church in 1891, and in 1901 the first sanctuary was erected. It was replaced by a second structure in 1925. Some worship services were conducted in the German language until 1949. A new sanctuary was erected in 1975. The oldest church in Buckholts, Hope Lutheran serves a predominantly German and Czech membership.|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 21 Apr 2004.