Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 25 July 2003
|Marker Title||Saint Michael's Catholic Church|
|Location||US 77 north of Cameron on FM 1963|
|Year Marker Erected||1991|
|Text on Marker||Irish Catholic settlers first came to this area in 1875. The community, first called Irish Settlement, was served by visiting priests beginning in 1879. Eight families joined together in 1885 to build a church, which they dedicated to St. Michael. The predominantly Irish membership was eventually joined by a number of German-American Catholics. A parochial school opened in 1891 and was operated by nuns of various orders until it closed in 1956. St. Michael's Cemetery (.7 mi. E) contains burials dating to 1878 and is maintained by the church.|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 21 Apr 2004.