Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 25 July 2003
|Marker Title||Port Sullivan|
|Location||off FM 485 & CR 260, 1 mile to CR 259 approx. 1.3 miles on south side of dirt road|
|Year Marker Erected||1936|
|Text on Marker||Early important trade and educational center. Established by Augustus W. Sullivan in 1835. River navigation extended to this point for many years. The Austin-East Texas and the Houston-Waco roads crossed here. On this spot was located Port Sullivan College. Established in the early fifties. Incorporated December 16, 1863. Destroyed by fire in 1878.|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 21 Apr 2004.