Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 25 July 2003
|Marker Title||Milam County|
|Location||on US 77 across from Cameron Municipal Airpark in front of Cameron Oaks Apts., 0.8 miles from Cameron|
|Year Marker Erected||1966|
|Text on Marker||A part of Robertson's colony in 1834. A part of the municipality of Viesca, 1835. Named changed to Milam, December 27, 1835 in honor of Benjamin Rush Milam, 1788-1835, who fell at San Antonio. After Burleson and Robertson counties were cut off Nashville became the county seat in 1837. The later creation of Williamson, Bell, McLennan and Falls, reduced Milam County to its present size. Cameron, the county seat since 1846.|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 26 July 2003 and last revised on 21 Apr 2004.