Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 25 July 2003
|Marker Title||Maysfield United Methodist Church|
|Address||FM 485 N & CR 254|
|Year Marker Erected||1986|
|Text on Marker||Though area Methodists met as early as 1847, this church was not formally organized until 1854. Itinerant preachers of the Cameron-Port Sullivan-Maysfield circuit served the congregation, which met in a school building. In 1885, a separate Maysfield circuit was organized, and the Rev. William G. Nelms was appointed pastor. A sanctuary was built in 1897 and stood at this site until destroyed by fire in 1933. The congregation met in the Presbyterian Church until 1952, when the present structure was donated and moved here from Ben Arnold, Texas. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 26 July 2003 and last revised on 21 Apr 2004.