Photograph by Lynna Kay Shuffield - May 2003
|Marker Title||Little River Baptist Church and Cemetery|
|Location||from Maysfield north on FM 485 approx. 2.5 miles, east on FM 979 approx. 3.5 milies; from Cameron 13.5 miles on S 485, then ease on FM 979 approx. 3.5 miles.|
|Year Marker Erected||1970|
|Text on Marker||Organized in 1849 with eight members. Met in local homes for worship. First building was a small log cabin. Church grew as settlers entered area. In 1855 70 members joined congregation following a three-day revival. Church was center of social life here, as throughout rural Texas. Important members sat in front, in "Amen Pews." Had separate sides for men, women. Present building was finished in 1873 by church together with Masonic Lodge. Cemetery started in early days. The structure was enlarged to present size in 1909.|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 26 July 2003 and last revised on 20 Apr 2004.