Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 25 July 2003
|Marker Title||First United Methodist Church of Cameron|
|Address||S. Travis & W. 2nd St.|
|Year Marker Erected||1984|
|Text on Marker||This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize this church. Until 1885 the Methodist congregation in Cameron was part of a preaching circuit. Early ministers included the Rev. Pleasant M. Yell and the Rev. John W. Devilbiss. By 1885, the church had grown so that it was given a full-time pastor, the Rev. J. E. Green. Four years earlier, in 1881, the congregation had constructed its first church building, during the pastorate of the Rev. J. H. Collard. Larger facilities were needed by the end of the nineteenth century, and a new brick sanctuary was completed in 1901. The current building was first used for services in 1923. Over the years, First United Methodist Church of Cameron has provided significant service and leadership to the community. The congregation has been host to the Texas Annual Conference of Methodist Churches and has produced several ministers from its membership. Today the church continues to reflect the ideals and traditions of its founders.|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 26 July 2003 and last revised on 20 Apr 2004.