Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 25 July 2003
|Marker Title||First Presbyterian Church of Maysfield|
|Address||FM 485 N & CR 254|
|Year Marker Erected||1973|
|Text on Marker||Organized in August 1873 by the Rev. Levi Tenney (1823-1907), with nine members. One of two original ruling elders was early settler T. N. Mayes (1812-1891), donor of townsite of Maysfield, which was named for him. The congregation erected this building, its first, in 1883; it was dedicated in 1884 by Dr. S. A. King of Waco. The first resident pastor (1886) was the Rev. J. K. P. Newton (1843-1898). This church has furnished three ministers to Arkansas, Georgia, and Texas Presbyteries: The Rev. Henry M. Bailey, Dr. C. Edgar Newton, and the Rev. James W. Newton.|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 26 July 2003 and last revised on 20 Apr 2004.