Star TXGenWeb Project Star USGenWeb Project Star


Milam County, Texas - Historical Markers

[Barbwire]

Site of First Home in Cameron



[Click Here to See Full Size Image]

Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 25 July 2003

Marker TitleSite of First Home in Cameron
AddressCameron City Park, next to Cameron Gospel Tabernacle
Location4th St. W (US 90) & Lamar Ave. N
CityCameron
Year Marker Erected1969
Designationsn/a
Text on MarkerBoyhood home of L. S. "Sul" Ross (1838-1898), Texas Governor from 1887 to 1891. His father Shapley P. Ross, Indian agent and Ranger, built house after moving here about 1841; he chose this site because it had a good spring. L. S. Ross, who was a Confederate general, served as president of Texas A. & M. College after holding office as governor. In 1890 this pavilion was erected to accommodate band concerts, meetings and rallies. It was the scene in 1892 of a landmark debate between two gubernatorial candidates: Gov. James S. Hogg and George Clark.
SourceTexas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003

[Barbwire]

BACK to Milam County Historical Markers

BACK to Milam County TXGenWeb Page

Created on 26 July 2003 and last revised on 20 Apr 2004.