Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 25 July 2003
|Marker Title||First Baptist Church of Cameron|
|Address||S. Crockett Ave. and W. Main St.|
|Year Marker Erected||1993|
|Text on Marker||Itinerant ministers J. W. D. Creath and David Fisher organized this church in 1853. The Rev. T. M. Anderson became the congregation's first resident pastor in 1867. Membership was extended to the community's Mexican-Americans in 1914, and in 1919 the church joined the Milam Baptist Association. Church facilities have been expanded over the years to meet changing needs. First Baptist helped organize the Mexican Baptist Church of Cameron in 1925 and Battetown Baptist Church in 1945. The congregation is active in foreign missionary work and continues to serve the community.|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 26 July 2003 and last revised on 20 Apr 2004.