South Elm, a rural community located 9-miles northwest of Cameron in northwestern Milam County.
It was named for nearby South Elm Creek.
It included three one-teacher schools for 139 students in 1903. A school and a few houses marked the community on the 1941 county highway map, but the South Elm schools were consolidated with the Buckholts school district in 1949. A community hall was shown at South Elm on the 1988 county highway map.
It was named for some nearby natural springs.
In 1903 Sipe Springs had a two-teacher school with 63 students. The school was consolidated with the Milano Independent School District in 1931, and by 1941 there was no evidence of the community on county highway maps.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.