Sharp is located on Farm Road 487, about 12-miles northwest of Rockdale in western Milam County.
It grew up around a Presbyterian church that was established in the 1870s and was named for William Franklin Sharp, a physician in nearby Davilla.
A post office opened at Sharp in 1900 but was discontinued in 1906. The community gave its name to a school district that included Lilac, Duncan, and Oakville in 1931; Friendship joined the Sharp district in 1948, Val Verde joined in 1949, and Tracy in 1956. In 1960 Sharp and these other communities elected to be consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District.
Sharp had 25 residents in 1933. By the early 1940s the population had increased to 100 but fell to 60 by 1952. Two churches and three businesses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1980s. There were 75 residents living there in 1988 and 1990.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.