Sand Grove is a small rural community located about 5-miles south of Milano and three miles southwest of State Highway 36 in southeastern Milam County.
It was named for the local sandy soil. Sand Grove was a voting precinct in 1881, and in 1903 it had a two-teacher school with 94 students. The school was consolidated with the Milano Independent School District in 1931. A few scattered houses appeared on maps of the area in the 1940s, but by the 1980s only a church and a cemetery marked the site.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.