San Andres was a town that was laid off between the San Gabriel River and Brush Creek, Sometimes known as San Andrews River in the middle 1850's.
From Captain Domingo Ramon’s reports, the first mention of Spain in Milam County was that he encountered the river in 1716 just above its conjunction with the Brazos. Also, Ramon encountered Little River in 1716 and called it the San Andrews. Another stream which empties into it was called San Francisco Xavier (San Gabriel) River.
The territory along the banks of the San Gabriel River and Brushy Creek was occupied by various tribes of Indians. In 1744 a missionary from the Alamo came upon them and was granted permission to construct three missions in 1746. They were San Xavier on the Kolb place. San Ildefonso on the fork of Brushy and the San Gabriel River, and Nuestra Senora de la Candelaria on the Porter farm.
Traces of these were noted only a few years ago. Marks of irrigation projects have been found on the Ditch Valley Farm.
In 1884 the Methodist Episcopal Church South bought the land from Henry I. And Matilda A. Cravy for a church, a school, and a cemetery. The church was built beside the river road. It was named Lebanon Church. It was on the Davilla charge. The 1921 flood damaged this church beyond repair. The Lebanon Cemetery was situated on a hill west of the river. The San Andres school was a one-room building just south of the cemetery. In later years it was replaced by a two-room building which was moved further south. Finally it was consolidated with the San Gabriel school system. For a few years services and prayer meetings were held in the schoolhouse during the 1920's.
Around a bend and a short way down the river was the Kolb’s place which was a big white house on a hill. Also, there was a cotton gin and a store. There were several river crossings in the vicinity: namely, Kolb, Moss, Schulz, and San Andrews which was on the main road to Davilla. Floods wrecked the bridge over the San Andres.
A prominent man and land owner, Bailey Turner, lost his life in a 1921 flood. His body was finally found near Port Sullivan.
The San Andres post office was made of huge logs. It was located on the north side of the river. This log building is now a barn on the Mabel Charles’ place.
The old picnic ground on the south side of San Andres crossing was a lively place on April 21st for a number of years. Programs for the day were patriotic and political speeches, band music, etc.
Also, religious meetings were held on the picnic grounds.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 97)
San Andres was located on the San Gabriel River, about 8-miles northwest of Rockdale and three miles south of Tracy in southwestern Milam County.
In 1842 the Congress of the Republic of Texas appointed a commission to choose a site for the permanent county seat of Milam County. This town, which was to be called San Andres, was not laid out until the early 1850s, several years after Cameron had been established as county seat.
The San Andres post office was in operation from February 4, 1852, to April 29, 1877.
Area residents organized a Methodist church in 1884 and constructed a building for it on land donated by Henry Cravy. When the church building was destroyed by flood in 1921, services were held in the school until the church was disbanded in the late 1920s. No population estimates for the community were available, and the 1988 county highway map showed only a cemetery at its site.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.