Salem is located on Farm Road 1600, about 4-miles southwest of Cameron in central Milam County.
A Methodist church was established at Salem in 1849, and the church and a school shared the same building until 1890, when the church built a structure of its own. In 1903 Salem had one school with one teacher and 50 white students and a second school with one teacher and 43 black students. The church building was destroyed by a storm in 1915 but was later rebuilt. The church disbanded in 1973, but its building still marked the townsite on the 1988 county highway map.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.