Pleasant Hill, a community in Milam County 12-miles south and slightly west of Rockdale, and 3-miles south and west of Alcoa (Aluminum Company of America) was settled after the Civil War by pioneers from Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and East Texas.
In 1874 these people organized a Methodist Church. Then through the efforts of Wilbur Walker, Dan and Dave Thomson, W. A. Avrett, Henry Miller, Wesley Blackburn and Lewis Modestt a church building was completed in 1880 on four acres of land that had been donated by Travis Shaw for a church and a cemetery. The first person buried in the new cemetery was a child named Merriweather.
Travis Shaw also donated four acres of land for a school in 1883. The first school was a subscription school. It was taught by Miss Millie Phillips.
Years later, in 1917, a new two-room school was built. From that time on two teachers were employed.
Pleasant Hill organized a Literary Society that was active for many years. Programs sponsored by this society added much to the social life of the community.
The church was used for religious worship continuously for three quarters of a century.
Because this land contained coal, and because the Aluminum Plant of American needed this coal most of the land of this community was sold by the 1950's. Consequently, all the citizens except two or three families moved away.
The church was disbanded in the early 1950's.
At the present time, 1973, both the church and schoolhouse still stand. A few people still bury their dead in the cemetery. A foundation, for the future care of the cemetery, has been established with the Citizens National Bank of Cameron. Twice a year cemetery workings are held, and one day each year a Homecoming is held by the present and former citizens, who are now too few in numbers.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 104-5)
Pleasant Hill is a small mining community located in southern Milam County, aobut 10-miles southeast of Rockdale and 4-miles west of U.S. Highway 77.
It was established in 1882 and was reportedly named for its scenic beauty and for the friendliness of its early residents.
Pleasant Hill was part of a Methodist circuit rider's route by the late 1890s. The community had a one-teacher school with 26 students in 1903. In the 1940s Pleasant Hill had a church, a school, a business, and a few scattered houses. The school was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1949. A church, a community hall, and several mining operations marked the location of Pleasant Hill on county highway maps in 1988; no population estimates were available.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.