In the late 1860's a school was built known as Oak Hill. It was located 1-mile north of Hat Prairie and 8-miles south of what is now Rockdale on Highway 77.
Oak Hill was a one-teacher school and Mrs. Ann Richards, Miss Jennie Little and Miss Beulah Littlepage were among the first teachers. During this time there were 77 children attending school.
W. D. Wooten, W. D. Young and W. W. Kyle were the school trustees.
After 1915 or 1916 Oak Hill was a two-teacher school.
In the thirties the children of Oak Hill began attending the Rockdale schools and the school building was moved from Oak Hill to the site of the Forest Grove Christian Church and used as Sunday School classrooms and for a recreation building. It was also used as a church while the new church was being erected.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 104)
Oak Hill was located near U.S. Highway 77, about 5-miles south of Rockdale in southern Milam County.
It had a one-teacher school with 69 students in 1903. A school and a few scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940s. Oak Hill was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1949.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.