North Elm is near Farm Road 485, 7-miles northwest of Cameron in northwestern Milam County.
The community was named for nearby North Elm Creek. Mose Price, who moved to the area in 1876, organized a Baptist church at North Elm. The North Elm school had 56 students and one teacher in 1903. The school, the church, and a few scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940s. The church became inactive in 1941, and no population estimates were available.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Margaret Eleanor Lengert, "The History of Milam County" (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1949); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.